Top 3 DIY Furniture Cleaning Methods
Home furniture is often times a challenging item when it comes to cleaning. And if you are trying to cut your carbon footprint and pay more attention to your health and well-being, things tend to complicate. You do not want to use your regular – and toxic – cleaning products. But at the same time you have no idea how to switch from cleaning supplies you have been using all of your life to something more eco-friendly. One thing is for sure: you definitely want to keep your kids’ allergies or asthma under control. And you also care for the well-being of your beloved pets and plants. Next time your toddler or furry Labrador will be sitting on the couch, you should not have to worry they will inhale any of the toxic substances and residues that are still lingering since you’ve last used over-the-counter cleaners.
Don’t worry, there are lots of green homemade cleaners you can use on your upholstery. And the great news is that you do not need any special skills or knowledge, or a lot of ingredients to create these cleaners. If this is your first time making or using all-natural cleaners for your furniture, take a piece of paper and a pen and keep reading.
Cleaning Method #1: Use White Vinegar
- Use a mix of equal parts white vinegar and rubbing alcohol, and add your favorite essential oils. You will also need an empty spray bottle and a towel. Mix everything in the spray bottle and make sure you use the mix with the windows open. Spray it on the surface of the upholstery and let it sit for 2 minutes.
- Scrub the surface using a clean towel and let it dry. Repeat for old stains.
- Be proactive and first test this cleaner in an inconspicuous area of your sofa or furniture. You may risk discoloration on certain fabrics.
- Rosemary, lemon, rose, lavender, or orange essential oils should make your furniture smell incredibly well, while the white vinegar and alcohol mix should thoroughly clean it. All ingredients of this mix are known to eliminate germs and remove stubborn stains.
Cleaning Method #2: Use Baking Soda
- If you are looking for a smart and natural refresher for your upholstery’s fabric to get rid of the foul odors, you can create your own green mix.
- You will need a quarter cup of baking soda, water, and 10 drops of your favorite essential oil. Place this mix into a clean spray bottle and top it off with water. Shake so that all ingredients can blend it perfectly.
- Spray it on the upholstery you wish to clean and deodorize. Scrub using circular moves and repeat until you obtain the desired results.
- Use lukewarm water to get rid of the excess cleaner and blot using a clean and dry cloth. Finally, let the upholstery dry.
- Keep in mind you should vacuum in order to get rid of all traces of soil and dust prior to putting these cleaning methods into practice. Also, do not to use too much water or you will risk ruining your upholstery because of the moisture.
Cleaning Method #3: Use Dry Microfiber Cloths For Unfinished Wood
- If you have unfinished wood furniture, use a dry microfiber cloth to clean it thoroughly. Water and moist will warp the wood, so make sure the cloth is completely dry. You can do a quick test to know for sure if your furniture wood is unfinished. Add a drop of water to a more hidden area and see if it beads.
- If this happens, your furniture is protected by varnish. If the furniture absorbs the water and you can see a clear mark that will turn into a stain once the water will dry up, you are dealing with unfinished wood.
- If you do not have time to spend testing all your furniture around the house, we warmly we welcome you to get in touch with the NYC Steam Cleaning team. We specialize in all types of furniture cleaning services.
- We are a certified upholstery cleaning service and we solely hire experienced technicians who work with advanced equipment that can clean any type of upholstery velvet and Jacquard included. We work by first inspecting all pieces of furniture you need cleaned, in order to set up a clear plan.
- We will then decide upon the most efficient cleaning method and get to work. We will remove all stains and freshen up the colors and fabrics in your upholstery. Finally, we can provide you with excellent coating services that should protect your furniture form further staining. We even include deodorizer services so your furniture will smell clean and fresh once we are done. We are IICRC certified and we can assist you with all of your furniture cleaning needs at affordable rates.
- Call us now for a free estimate or fill out our online form and let us get in touch with you straight away!